Saturday, June 23, 2007

Back to the Weather



Although I promised not to turn this into a weather blog I couldn't resist added these two pictures purely for the date. It was June 21st, the longest day. It should have been summery, but at about 5pm the sky went black and the heavens opened. A torrential downpour with strong winds battered our part of Belper.



Then it started to hail and thunder - by the time it had passed (after about 30 minutes) we had a river running down the road and the grass was white over.



I took the first picture when the storm was at it's height. I had the 50mm lens on the camera so I pressed it up against the window and fiddled with the shutter speed. This was taken at 1/25th with an f-stop of 7.1 no effects were added in photoshop but I did adjust the levels. The effects you can see are from rain running down the outside of the double glazed window.




The second picture was taken as it was hailing. You can see the river in the background and probably make out the hail lying on the grass.


This was shot at 1/40th at f4 with the camera tilted down to capture the hail hitting the car. The camera was resting on the window sill to try and counteract camera shake at that shutter speed. Again the only alteration is to Levels and then a touch of saturation to put the colour back.


That was on Thursday. Yesterday (Friday) we helped Brother and Sister-in-Law move house. Despite it taking over 10 hours to move them, the majority of it was spend sitting around waiting for a phonecall from the solicitor to say the money had been transferred. Absolutely useless articles - I agree with the saying that "99% of solicitors are giving the rest a bad name"


Eventually we did the deed by filling Sallys brothers van and shuttling between Kniveton and Ashbourne. The van itself was repeatedly packed with boxes as my other picture shows - amazing how much you can get in one van if you are determined enough !
Today is a day of rest after yesterdays exertions so nothing exciting to upload.
















No comments:

Post a Comment